Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Local Utahn in Monster Jam: Kreg Christensen


Kreg Christensen / Clearfield, Utah

Veteran monster truck driver Kreg Christensen brings years of experience and spectacular moments back to the Maximum Destruction® team. Christensen was a mud racer before building a monster truck and becoming one of the best-known and most popular stars in the western United States, behind the wheel of his unique Dragon Slayer. He made Dragon Slayer a major thorn in the sides of some of Advance Auto Parts Monster Jam®’s biggest stars. Having shown the best in the business how talented he was behind the wheel, Christensen was tabbed by Jimmy Creten to join the 2Xtreme Racing Team. He spent a year behind the wheel of Creten’s powerhouse Iron Outlaw truck. That was followed by one-year stints in Maximum Destruction® and Donkey Kong™. When a third Maximum Destruction truck was created to start the 2011 season, it was Christensen who was named to take over the wheel of the newest machine, which was sporting one of the most accomplished and popular names in the sport, Maximum Destruction. 

Q&A with Kreg Christensen 
MonsterJam.com: How did you get started competing on the Monster Jam circuit? 
Kreg Christensen: I mud raced on the Camel Mud and Monster tour for years, and then I bought a monster tank in 1992 and drove it for a year. After that, I bought a truck from Wyoming, rebuilt it, and created Dragon Slayer, which I raced in until 2007. From there, I drove Iron Outlaw in 2008, Maximum Destruction in 2009, Donkey Kong in 2010, and then back in Max-D in 2011. I’m really happy to be back in a Maximum Destruction truck that is really made to fit my needs. 

MonsterJam.com: What do you enjoy doing while on the road with Monster Jam? 
Kreg Christensen: I always enjoy meeting the fans, whether it’s on the road or in the airports. Monster Jam fans are like no other! 

MonsterJam.com: What do you do with your free time? 
Kreg Christensen: I spend time with my grandkids. It doesn’t matter if its playing ball, riding quads, or going to the movies, family time is always fun! 

MonsterJam.com: What is your greatest memory as a monster truck driver? 
Kreg Christensen: They’re all great memories, from big crashes to great saves. I don’t think one stands out as a greatest. 

MonsterJam.com: Do you have any pre-show rituals that you run though? 
Kreg Christensen: I like to get in, put my helmet and neck restraint on, then put my gloves on, and then tighten my belts. Then, I will go through all of the motions of starting the truck. I push the throttle and the brakes to make sure everything moves freely. Then, I always tell myself, “Here we go!” 

MonsterJam.com: If you were not competing on the Monster Jam tour, what career path would you follow? 
Kreg Christensen: I’m a diesel mechanic by trade, but I would have liked to have been a shop teacher in high school or in a trade school. 

MonsterJam.com: What’s your favorite food? 
Kreg Christensen: Chicken 

MonsterJam.com: What’s your favorite movie? 
Kreg Christensen: I like all types of drama, action, or romance. If I’m watching movies with my wife it makes those all favorites. 

MonsterJam.com: What’s your favorite television show? 
Kreg Christensen: Two and a Half Men and CSI 

MonsterJam.com: What’s your favorite color? 
Kreg Christensen: Yellow and black 

TRUCK INFO 
• Truck Name: Maximum Destruction® 
• Body: Futuristic SUV 
• Engine size: 540 merlin 
• Transmission: Coan powerglide 
• Shocks: Patrick 26”nitrogen 

Sponsors: Advance Auto Parts, Arsenault Associates, ARP Automotive Products, Auto Meter, Awesome Racewear, Cam 2 Racing Oil, Coan, Crower Racing Products, Derale Performance, Energy Suspension, Fel-Pro Performance Gaskets, FK Rod Ends, Hawk Performance, Jaz Products, K & N Filters, King Engine Bearings, Lincoln Welders, Liquid Advanced Technology, Magnaflow Performance, Mechanix Wear, MSD Ignition, NGK Spark Plugs, Optima Batteries, Piloti, TX7, Powermaster, Rockford Rosgate, Speed Pro, Universal Technical Institute, Walker Radiator Works, WISECO, World Products

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!