Friday, July 11, 2014

“Popular” Broadway hit “Wicked” Now Playing at The Capitol Theatre

4.200543All photos courtesy of Broadway.com, Photographer: © Broadway.com

Wicked
July 9 – August 24, 2014
Capitol Theatre
50 West 200 South
Salt Lake City, UT

Last night my daughter and I had a girls’ night out and went to see “Wicked” at The Capitol Theatre. This was our first time seeing this “popular” Broadway production, and we absolutely loved it! We have decided it is now our favorite musical, and we can’t wait to go and see it again!

The story of “Wicked” is about what happened in Oz before Dorothy arrived, and how all of your favorite characters in The Wizard of Oz came to be. They all met in high school, and “Wicked” tells the story of why they are the way they are, with a few surprises that you don’t get to see in the original story. This is the “other side of the story” that you don’t get to hear in The Wizard of Oz.

Emma Hunton had big shoes to fill in the role of Elphaba, the “wicked witch”, originally played on Broadway by Idina Menzel. She far exceeded our expectations, and dare I say I thought her voice was even more amazing than Ms. Menzel! My daughter kept whispering to me throughout the production how much she loved Hunton’s voice, and how amazing she was. She had us in tears during her performance of “For Good” with Gina Beck, who we also loved in her role as Glinda.

A production is much more than just the cast, and we were also blown away by the costumes, lighting and set design.

7.196983 Had I known Wicked was so amazing, I would have made an effort to see it much sooner than I did!

Wicked is playing in Salt Lake City at the Capitol Theatre now through August 24. You can purchase tickets online or in person at the box office located at 50 West 200 South. 

7.196977 4.200542
Before they were Glinda The Good, and The Wicked Witch, they were Galinda and Elphaba


 
I was provided with two complimentary tickets to attend and write a review. I was not compensated financially, nor was I required or persuaded to write any specific type of review. The views and opinions are all my own.

2 comments:

  1. We're going next month. I can't wait!! Your review made me more excited!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!